Last Day
Today was my last day at school before moving to New School in September. I managed to get my classroom all cleared out for the next person, and filled 6 binliners with old exercise books and paper and so on that will no longer be needed. I also managed to teach two lessons, although "teach" is perhaps a little strong; I contained the kids in the classroom and allowed them to entertain themselves while I tidied up. Some of them helped me with some filing (learning valuable skills about sorting things into alphabetical order), some played on a maths website, and some didn't do much at all.
One pupil brought in a bunch of flowers and a box of chocolates for me. Another brought in a handmade card and a bar of chocolate. I know I've complained about some of the pupils I've taught in the past, but some of them have hearts of gold and I'll miss them immensly.
After the end-of-term assembly, we had the staff barbecue and I underwent the torment of having my boss say things about me and give me a card and present. I got a personalised t-shirt (which I may wear in bed but I doubt I'll wear in public), and two books. I also got one or two presents and cards from other colleagues, all of whom I hope will keep in touch.
Having focussed so much of my energies on getting to today, getting through today, and getting everything done that needed to be done by today, I suddenly find myself with 6 weeks of holiday, in which time I need to move house and prepare for the new job. Househunting begins in earnest on Monday, but between now and then I'm going to take a little quiet time, spend some time with friends, and put my old job behind me before starting to worry about the new.
One pupil brought in a bunch of flowers and a box of chocolates for me. Another brought in a handmade card and a bar of chocolate. I know I've complained about some of the pupils I've taught in the past, but some of them have hearts of gold and I'll miss them immensly.
After the end-of-term assembly, we had the staff barbecue and I underwent the torment of having my boss say things about me and give me a card and present. I got a personalised t-shirt (which I may wear in bed but I doubt I'll wear in public), and two books. I also got one or two presents and cards from other colleagues, all of whom I hope will keep in touch.
Having focussed so much of my energies on getting to today, getting through today, and getting everything done that needed to be done by today, I suddenly find myself with 6 weeks of holiday, in which time I need to move house and prepare for the new job. Househunting begins in earnest on Monday, but between now and then I'm going to take a little quiet time, spend some time with friends, and put my old job behind me before starting to worry about the new.

4 Comments:
6 weeks holibob! *jealous*
Hope you find your new home quickly. description, please, of the personalised t-shirt, does it say 'fluffy rocks'?
ttfn jane
I want to know what the t-shirt says!!
It says the school initials on the front and my name on the back, in the manner of a sports team shirt. The reason for not wearing it outside is that the colour scheme is tastelessly vile green.
Post a Comment
<< Home