Sunday, January 04, 2009

Happy New Year

It seems to be rather a long time since I blogged. To be fair, I have been rather busy moving jobs. I start New Work tomorrow so I will tell you all about that once it's happened, but I suppose I should update on leaving Old Work and also the Festive Period.
My last week of term was mental; I went to the New Job Christmas Drinks reception to meet lots of people on the Tuesday, went to Harlow Greyhounds with Old Work people for my leaving do on the Wednesday, and went up for an afternoon in New Work to do Criminal Record Check form and other such things on the Thursday. The Friday was the last day of term, and I managed to get through goodbyes with my tutor group and my colleagues, and made a leaving speech without crying.









I ended up with two lovely bouquets of flowers; the larger is from my colleagues and the smaller bunch were the real surprise, from my Further Maths group in my last lesson with them on the Thursday. They also got me chocolates, wine, and from one of them an official Oxford University mug which he wants me to take to New Work in Cambridge... not sure if I dare.

Saturday 20th brought an uneventful 0-0 draw between Scunthorpe and Colchester, which wouldn't be worth mentioning if it hadn't been for the fact that Nick and Andrea came down for the game and then stayed over, the first time either of them had visited since I moved to Dunmow. They headed north again on Sunday morning, and I followed them early on Monday for Christmas in Lincolnshire.

This year I cooked a chicken, and Nick prepared most of the trimmings to go with it. The high point of Christmas Day was probably watching Andrea open and play with her presents. My mum proved that she does listen to me by buying me a pint glass to replace the one I broke a few weeks ago, and the box had four bottles of cider in it too which is rather a bonus.
Boxing Day we went up to Scunthorpe for the football; much more interesting than the pre-Christmas game in Colchester because we won 3-0. We called in for tea with my Grandma and Aunt on the way back; 2009 should be the year that I try to get up to visit relatives more often.
I made the now-traditional train journey up to Durham on the 27th to join Sam at his parents' house. By booking the train back in October or so, I'd managed to get a cheap 1st class ticket, so I got to enjoy a comfy seat and a nice cup of coffee while surfing the internet, although I'm told you can get free internet in cattle class too these days. We had a lovely few days in Durham, and headed south again on the 30th to be in Cambridge for New Year.
The last couple of days has been spent catching up with friends we didn't get a chance to see over Christmas, and preparing for New Job. The most pressing task for the next few days is to go through the chocolate in the chocolate cupboard and sort out which has the soonest eat-by date!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lord Hutton said...

Amazing how much travel we indulge in at Christmas,
Good luck in the new job

Sun Jan 04, 08:24:00 pm  
Blogger Claire said...

Bloody hell and I thought I was busy! Chocolate doesn't go off that quick, but I suppose biccies go a bit soft.
Happy New Year to you both also!

Sun Jan 04, 08:25:00 pm  
Blogger NigelH said...

Happy new year and all the best in New Work (not New York as I first thought)

Mon Jan 05, 11:12:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home