Friday, October 03, 2008

Reminiscence

A friend texted me today to point out that it's 9 years almost to the day since we first met during Freshers' Week at university. It's got me all nostalgic for old times, remembering how nervous I was, but how determined to overcome my naturally shy nature and seek out like-minded people. I was very lucky in that first week to meet some fantastic friends with whom I shared the highs and lows of my four years in Cambridge. Every so often I have regrets that I could have worked harder, could have sought out advice on the crushing feeling of depression that overwhelmed me at critical times during my degree, could have joined more societies, drunk more beer... but I made the best friends of my life during that time, so I should have no regrets at all (to say nothing of the degree and teaching qualification which have allowed me to support myself for the past five years and afford sizeable collections of CDs, stripey socks, and hats).

Tomorrow I'm off into London, probably to potter round and do some shopping in the morning, then off to Leyton Orient in the afternoon to see Scunthorpe play (and maybe even win!) If I blog in the next month or so, I might even tell you what the score was. (Or you could watch Final Score on BBC1, or listen to the legend that is James Alexander Gordon reading the results on Sports Report on the radio.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Lord Hutton said...

A collection of stripey socks has traditionally been one of the benefits of a Cambridge education. Well done!

Sat Oct 25, 07:23:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home