Monday, September 12, 2005

Hurrah!

Today we made the switch over to electronic registration. My wireless network connection works only occasionally when my laptop is on the desk, so I have taken to wandering round the classroom trying to find somewhere to stand to take the register. Just outside the door seems to work best, although it's harder to control classes from there. We also had emergency alarm practice, or fire drill. Apparently, we were a minute quicker evacuating, but two minutes slower checking registers. I think competitive fire drills between schools could replace football tournaments and similar; you would be given maps of the "away" venues to study escape routes, and have strict rules about leaving the building in silence without running and without stopping to pick up coats and bags.

Much of the day was spent trying to find out the cricket score; tricky, as I teach a full timetable on Mondays. I didn't get as quick a getaway as I'd have liked but made it home in time to see the last hour and a half or so, the rather anticlimactic finish, and the presentations. I haven't always enthused about the so-called great days in British sport of recent years, but I have thoroughly enjoyed this Ashes series, and it's fantastic to have beaten the Aussies. And I can now devote my attention to football again.

Talking of crickets, a very large spider just ran along skirting board to hide behind computer desk. There seem to be a lot of daddy-long-legses about too, which can't possibly be the correct plural.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home